Joining the onslaught of new 2-in-1 notebooks, is the new Portégé X20W from Toshiba, that like the new Dell XPS 13, features a 360-degree dual action hinge. While Toshiba has stated that the Portégé X20W is aimed at students, we think that this will be much more at home in the professional environment thanks to a host of high end components such as 7th gen Intel Core processors and 12.5-inch Full HD display that is covered by the newest Corning Gorilla Glass 4. To cement that premium feel, Toshiba have also managed to get a set of Harman Kardon stereo speakers in the chassis that measures only 15.4mm thin, and weighs less than 2.5lbs. However, it is the battery life that Toshiba is really excelling in, with a claimed battery life of 16 hours, making this one of the best performing in terms of endurance.
There is a list of noteworthy features which have all been laid out in the official blog announcement from Windows which can be found below, and would definitely recommend having a read. Nothing has been released for pricing or availability, other than an “available soon” date.
Ahead of the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show, Toshiba announced the new Portégé X20W, a premium 2-in-1 convertible PC running Windows 10 Pro. The New Portégé X20W features a 360-degree, dual-action hinge that allows this device to easily transform from a powerful, performance-oriented notebook into a premium digital inking tablet by simply rotating the display. Measuring 15.4mm thin and weighing less than 2.5 pounds, the Portégé X20W has a battery life of up to 16 hours and is designed for mobile professionals, educators and students.
The Portégé X20W is designed to take advantage of the best of Windows 10 and includes multi-directional microphones to support Cortana, a pair of IR cameras to allow you to login easily and securely with your face or fingerprint using Windows Hello and a touchscreen for digital inking with Windows Ink or marking up webpages in Microsoft Edge.
Here’s a closer look at the Portégé X20W:
To meet the demands of the modern workplace, the Portégé X20W encompasses a 7th Generation Intel Core Processor, Windows 10 Pro, 12.5-inch diagonal Full HD multi-touch wide viewing angle display, Intel 802.11ac Wi-Fi and a solid state drive all inside its durable magnesium casing.
A sturdy 360-degree dual-action hinge enables smooth transitions into five core viewing modes—Laptop, Tablet, Tabletop, Presentation and Audience. Tackle the day with a slim, high-performance laptop, flip the screen to conduct presentations or create through an engaging tablet and digital inking experience. When changing modes, the laptop smartly switches system settings and uses a smart-locking feature to protect the keyboard and prevent mishaps.
Other features of the Portégé X20W include:
- Premium audio experience via Harman Kardon stereo speakers and DTS Sound software. Toshiba’s exclusive custom-tuned speakers adapt to the rotational view of the display, delivering a robust, crisp and natural audio from every angle
- A USB Type-C port, USB 3.0 port and headphone/mic combo port. As the industry’s new universal standard, the USB Type-C port on the Portégé X20W features reversible plug orientation and supports Display, Power Delivery and Thunderbolt 3 with speeds up to 40Gbps
- All-new Corning Gorilla Glass 4, offering higher levels of damage resistance as it’s better able to withstand the shock of accidental bumps
- A 12.5-inch diagonal, Full HD (1920 x 1080), multi-touch wide viewing angle display packs over 2 million pixels onto the screen
- Included TruPen using Wacom Feel technology, which can detect 2,048 levels of pressure, perfect for taking notes, drawing on webpages in Microsoft Edge and using Windows Ink
- Compatibility with two advanced docking solutions– the Toshiba WiGig Dock and Toshiba Thunderbolt 3 Dock, which will be available later his quarter
Pricing and Availability: The pre-configured Portégé X20W (Slate Gray) will be available soon at Microsoft Store and microsoftstore.com.